Where did the big bang come from?
The Big Bang
Most astronomers assume that the universe was formed around 14 billion years ago with a big bang, the Big Bang. At that time, the entire universe was in a bubble a thousand times smaller than the head of a pin. It was hotter and denser than we can even imagine.
Suddenly the bubble exploded and the known universe was born. Space, time and matter - it all started with the Big Bang. In just a fraction of a second, the universe had expanded from not even the size of a single atom to a space larger than a galaxy (Milky Way). And it continued to grow at an incredible pace. The universe is still expanding today.
As the universe expanded and cooled, the energy turned into particles of matter and antimatter. These two opposing types of particles largely destroyed each other. However, a certain amount of matter survived. When the universe was a second old, more stable particles formed, which we call protons and neutrons.
Over the next three minutes, the temperature dropped below 1 billion degrees Celsius. So it was 'cool' enough for the protons and neutrons to combine. This created hydrogen and helium nuclei.
300,000 years later, the universe had cooled to around 3,000 degrees Celsius. At last atomic nuclei could capture electrons and thereby form atoms. The universe filled with clouds of hydrogen and helium gas.
Last modified December 15, 2004
History of the universe
- How fast are hydraulic presses
- How can an infection trigger Parkinson's disease
- What information do cashiers have access to?
- When should you exercise?
- Is it worth watching bad movies
- What has reduced your short-term memory capacity
- Can a Hindu enter the Church
- What is carded cotton used for?
- How do Flavia machines work
- The path to enlightenment causes depression
- Are there films about piracy?
- Jordan Belfort is now a motivational speaker
- Are green weeds or brown weeds good
- Should the US ban drug advertising
- What is the best logo shop online
- Can Reiki devotees or learners fool
- How much schooling does a beautician need
- When did bluffing pay off?
- Is BHT bad for your health?
- What is the best loyal dog
- What is it like to be hyperlexic
- What is Level 5 in German
- Why are sprouted seeds good to eat?
- Are the French lazy