Why is high blood pressure associated with anger?
Anxiety as an important factor
When it comes to the secondary causes of hypertension, one important factor remains unmentioned: fear. Anxiety disorders often manifest themselves physically - even without manifest anxiety - in the form of tachycardia, shortness of breath, heartache, dizziness, multilocal pain, elevated temperature and arterial hypertension (1). In somatized anxiety attacks, values of systolic 300 and diastolic 120 mmHg can be achieved.
This can be explained as follows: The latent feeling of fear brings the vegetative part, the muscle tone (pain) and the thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism) into full swing. With every resistant high blood pressure, fear should therefore be considered, especially if further fear equivalents such as waking up at night with sweating and cravings are determined. With the "white coat hypertension" the authors even associate high blood pressure with fear.
In these patients, the blood pressure values usually drop significantly when it is possible to talk about their - previously unconscious - fear and their biographical background. Anger or sadness can also be associated with fear. What is decisive is naming ("Your high pressure is fear ... is anger ...") and understanding the affect.
Only when the affective dimension of hypertension has been taken into account diagnostically and therapeutically and the receptive methods have been exhausted should the invasive method of renal denervation be considered.
DOI: 10.3238 / arztebl.2012.0311b
Dr. med. Mechthilde Kütemeyer
Fichtenstrasse 52, 68535 Neckarhausen, [email protected]
Conflict of interest
The author declares that there is no conflict of interest.
- How do ads use heuristics?
- What is the onomatopoeia for a pipe
- What is social media optimization for companies
- What is a Puskas Award
- How do you see the vaccination of children
- Fasting will increase your blood pressure
- What is your level of socialism
- Is the Star Wars franchise salvable
- Can I record YouTube on the screen
- What are good career proposals
- Who developed WiFi
- Why is particle decay probabilistic
- What's the best way to use Twitter
- Who invented the hydrogen atom bomb?
- Is Joker 2019 a bad movie
- Why is pornography blocked in China
- How important is the US presidency really
- How do I convert bytes to int
- What is a fox male or female
- Why can't Android applications run on iOS?
- How difficult is the veterinary school
- Is pizza fat
- What are some good androgynous names
- What is a martini