Italian monolinguals think in English
Do I have to have my terms and conditions translated?
Translations of general terms and conditions are very popular. But is a translation of the terms and conditions absolutely necessary? This is the question that companies deal with every day when they want to expand and do international business. We have put together some facts for you.
Translate terms and conditions - necessary or not?
German law stipulates that the retailer must inform the buyer of the required information “in a clear and understandable manner appropriate to the means of remote communication used”. This also includes the general terms and conditions and information requirements.
General terms and conditions as a means of information
The translation of a German legal text into another language mostly serves purely as information for international (foreign-language) customers, but in the case of questions of interpretation, the German version usually remains authoritative. This is generally true of any type of contract. In the legal field, there are often no 1-to-1 equivalents for technical terms, because the legal systems of the different countries are so different. Therefore, many translated terms and conditions contain neutral paraphrases in order to secure the content of the text in the respective language.
However, it is important that the translation is translated very closely to the German version so that the potential customer or contractual partner is properly informed. If you are unsure in an individual case, we recommend that you go to a legal entity such as a lawyer.
General terms and conditions translations for web shops
Translating the terms and conditions is particularly important if you operate an international web shop. Before a purchase is made, the customer must usually agree to the general terms and conditions or at least be advised of them. It is therefore particularly important that the terms and conditions are available in various languages so that each of the international customers can understand the legal background and the contractual conditions. Think, for example, of the processing of returns or the terms of payment.
Monolingual web shops
If your contractual partner comes from abroad, you have to pay attention to a few things, as mentioned. However, a look at Section 312c of the German Civil Code (BGB) shows that if your entire website is exclusively in German, if the shop is monolingual in German and if your target group is only in German, German terms and conditions are generally sufficient. In all other cases this paragraph does not apply.
Multilingual web shops
But it looks different if you sell your products in two or more languages. Then the legal information must also be listed in the languages used. A webshop in German, French and English therefore also requires general terms and conditions in these languages. For example, if an Italian customer buys in a solely German-speaking shop without knowing the language, he has nevertheless agreed to the German conditions. The contract language was German and the dealer taught correctly.
Do you have any questions on this topic or do you need a professional translation of your general terms and conditions? Then you can contact us at any time. Please give us a call or send us an email and we will discuss your individual translation project.
- What can you tell me about happiness
- How to refuse someone's confession
- What are OPML files used for?
- Which factors influence the distribution of precipitation
- Is it difficult for UCLA to get good grades?
- How does gasoline ignite?
- What is a health informatics track
- How can Audacity be improved
- Who sang the song of Shahbaz Qalandar first
- What is your soul
- What was the first theme park
- What are the five customs of Shavuot
- Can we use headphones every day?
- How long has tonsillitis existed?
- What does continuous rain do
- What's the latest in the Diaspora
- Why do cats watch ants for hours?
- The earth could suddenly be destroyed
- What happened to iOS 1
- How often does menstrual pain become debilitating
- What is your best GoT dialogue
- Which is the most popular PHP framework
- What do you think of Prince William
- Are lawyers wrongly criticized?
- Are there Quorans who support ISIS
- What is a tunic
- How does the joker behave
- Can I put a metal bowl in the microwave?
- What is a lemon bar
- What is the specialty of Australia
- What are the disadvantages of museums
- What are the most popular video platforms among the Chinese
- Which headphones are the best