Is it okay to be possessive in a relationship?
Possessive love is a love that wants the beloved all to herself. Possessive love leaves the partner no space and can therefore be perceived as constricting. Possessive love is usually jealous love as well. Possessive love is one of the six love styles according to John Alan Lee and is called mania there.
Possessive love as one of the six love styles
The Canadian sociologist and social psychologist John Alan Lee has postulated six love styles, which could also be found in empirical studies. There is even a standardized questionnaire, the Marburg attitude inventory of love styles (MEIL), with which the six love styles can be measured. The six love styles are:
- Eros - the romantic love, which is characterized by affection, infatuation and passion and great feelings
- Storge - the friendly love, the cooperative love
- Agape, unselfish love, self-sacrificing love
- Mania, mad love, jealous love, possessive love
- Ludus, playful love, free love that longs for pleasure; the non-binding love
- Pragma, the pragmatic love
So, possessive love is one of the translations of mania. Possessive love is based on strong emotionality. The partner is everything. All life revolves around the partner. Therefore, the partner must be captured. The result is jealousy, fear of losing the partner. So great love, security alternate with fear, fear of loss, jealousy. The possessive love is an intense love relationship. If both partners can live with it, it can lead to a very deep partnership. However, possessive love is addictive and is often perceived by the partner as a dependency. Possessive love can also result from a lack of self-confidence: life without a partner is worthless. Possessive love can also lead to stalking and other criminal acts if not reciprocated. In a relationship, it can lead to excessive control behavior.
Dealing with possessive love in a partnership
Own possessive love
If you yourself have a propensity for possessive love and your relationship is deep and joyful, then all is well. Enjoy your deep relationship.
But if you notice that your partner feels restricted and your jealousy leads to conflicts over and over again, then you should change something - because otherwise your fear of loss motivated jealousy can lead to exactly what you want to avoid - namely the loss of the partner . At least possessive love can cause a lot of suffering. Here are a few tips:
- Realize that your love for your partner is an expression of your love for the divine. Your partner is a manifestation of the divine. But ultimately, it is the divine that you love
- Give the partner their space
- If you are jealous, practice self-control: it is not always good to act immediately on impulses
- Explain to your partner that you love them more often. Compliment him, encourage him in what he's doing. Instead of expressing reproaches and suspicions, relationship-promoting, appreciative communication and tenderness are much more effective in deepening the relationship
- Ask the partner what he / she needs, wants from you
- Also, express your needs so that your partner has the opportunity to express their love
- Realize that you are a separate personality. Develop confidence. You can also live alone if you need to
- Practice yoga and meditation. This is how you develop calmness, a feeling for yourself, self-confidence
- Practice trust in God, feel secure in God
Partner with possessive love
If your partner is "gifting" you with possessive love, there are two options:
- If you are happy to have such a loving partner, then everything is fine
- If you feel constrained and find yourself confronted with reproaches, demands and scenes of jealousy, then you have to do something and / or learn to deal with it.
Here are a few tips for dealing with possessive, jealous love:
- Consider yourself lucky that you have someone who loves you so much.
- Know that the other person's jealousy is an expression of their love.
- Respond to the jealousy of the other: Report more often by email, SMS, phone call, chat, if you are spatially separated; explain what you are doing; report on what you did.
- Tell the other what you would like to have - give the other the chance to express their love the way you like.
- Explain to the other person that you love them more often.
- Express your love again and again in small gestures: frequent caresses, small gifts (often small gifts are better than rare large gifts), looking in the eyes, compliments.
- Make arrangements where you need your space; then keep referring to the agreements.
- Talk about how the other person's jealousy affects you.
- Regularly talk about your relationship and what you need, want, and hope for from the other.
Mania, or possessive love, is one of the more stable love styles. Therefore, see it more positively if your partner has this love style.
Advancement of possessive love
From a spiritual point of view, however, it is desirable when the possessive love develops into unselfish love, and when the partner love develops into an all-encompassing love, to love for God, to love one's neighbor and to love all beings. The love affair with your partner is always something very special. But this deep love can become a basis for love for all beings.
Possessive love - What is it? How do I handle this? possessive love is love that seeks to possess another. Possessing love does not leave the other the space he needs, does not allow the other to develop. Unconditional love can also demand loyalty without becoming possessive.
- Stephan Hachtmann, Touched by the Sound of Love: Paths to Prayer of the Heart (2012)
- Thich Nhat Hanh, Jesus and Buddha - A Dialogue of Love (2010)
- John XXIII, The Heart Must Be Full of Love (2013)
- Ayya Khema, The greatest is love: The Sermon on the Mount and the Song of Songs from a Buddhist Perspective (2009)
- Christopher West et al., Love that Fills: Thoughts on Eros & Agape - Pope Benedict XVI. and human love (2011)
- Kordula Witjes et al., To choose love: Brother Roger, Taizé 1915-2005 (2013)
- May 28, 2021 - May 30, 2021 - Spiritual healing, mantra yoga and kirtan online
- The chakras as energy centers can be exposed to multiple disturbances, foreign energies and blockages. So that these energy wheels get back into motion, you will learn in this se ...
- 06.06.2021 - 13.06.2021 - Individual counseling in psychological yoga therapy
- Experience and promote spiritual growth. Psychological yoga therapy goes beyond symptomatic treatment. During this week you will practice people in one-to-one sessions with all instruments ...
- May 26th, 2021 - May 26th, 2021 - Bhakti and Meditation - Online Workshop
- Time: 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. With yoga class, lecture and meditation. Bhakti Yoga is the path of love and devotion to the divine. You will receive an introduction to Bhakti Yoga with a short lecture, take ...
- 06/11/2021 - 06/13/2021 - Harmonium learning seminar
- Learn to play the harmonium! If available, please bring your own harmonium. No previous knowledge necessary.
Bhakti Yoga - Yoga of devotion and love
Serve, love, give - expand your consciousness
- How does staying underwater affect frogs?
- Are shemales real or not
- When did bluffing pay off?
- Fortnite was made before PUBG
- Which statement best defines a communist government?
- Is it okay to wear shorts with leggings?
- Can Greek yogurt make you fat
- How do computers change our lives?
- How bad is Trump
- Have you ever shopped on Amazon Prime?
- What is tannerite
- Is karaoke music royalty-free
- What is the best and cheapest laptop
- What is a break statement
- Has blood temperature
- What is the China-India War
- How do I get free goose skin books
- Is the empty space an infinite surface?
- What is Fontaine blue
- Can you decipher the word YRA?
- How is Girona
- How do celebrities live
- Is wool an insulator or conductor
- What does the Salvation Army believe in?
- What scares you about Yao Ming
- Are Trump's tweets trustworthy
- How is code coverage calculated in Salesforce
- What are some crazy Halloween party ideas
- Is stage 2 prostate cancer treatable
- Who is Neman Ashraf
- How can we activate our DigiLocker account
- How browser dependent AppML is
- When do puppies open their eyes
- Comes sciatica