What is the Political Affiliation of Bill Gates
Bill and Melinda Gates call for collaboration and further research to bring the scientific breakthroughs in the fight against COVID-19 to everyone around the world
SEATTLE, March 23 / PRNewswire / -The Gates Foundation pledges an additional $ 250 million to expedite the development and fair distribution of COVID-19 tests, treatments, and vaccines, thereby ending the pandemic
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation announced today that it will provide an additional $ 250 million for the research, development and fair distribution of life-saving supplies in the global fight against the coronavirus. At the end of a year that initially focused on the scientific advances needed to end the pandemic, the foundation is now calling for an international commitment to make these innovations available to all those in need in 2021.
"All people, no matter where they live, deserve to benefit from the insights of 2020," said Melinda Gates, co-chair of the Gates Foundation. "We are confident that 2021 will bring an improvement, but whether it will be felt by everyone depends on the actions of world leaders: commit to making tests, treatments and vaccines available to the people, that they need regardless of where they live or how much money they have? "
Today's donation, the foundation's largest single contribution to date in the fight against the corona pandemic, builds on the partnerships and expertise it has built up over the past 20 years. These funds will support continuation of research to develop tests, treatments and vaccines that are easier to scale and deploy because of the need for cheaper options that can be used in different settings. Today's donation will also support the delivery of new COVID-19 tests, treatments and vaccines, particularly in low and middle income countries.
Getting these innovative tools to where they're needed requires the same level of planning, urgency, and collaboration that went into developing them. It requires the rapid and safe production of tests, drugs and vaccines, the provision of sufficient financial resources to purchase and distribute them, and the organization of the logistical infrastructure and supply chains. Clinics and healthcare professionals must be trained in administration, and the population must be given appropriate information so that they understand and trust the agents being administered. Some of today's funding will enable countries to use the latest technology and distribution systems to plan and implement vaccine dispensing. She will also support efforts to involve the respective communities in the process to build trust and improve communication about new COVID-19 interventions.
"It is thanks to the acumen of the global scientific community that we are making these exciting medical breakthroughs that can end the pandemic," said Bill Gates, co-chair of the Gates Foundation. We have new drugs and more vaccine candidates than we expected at the beginning of the year. But these innovations will only save lives if they get out into the world. "
In tackling the logistical challenge, unprecedented in scale and complexity, the world can draw on the expertise of international organizations such as Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance and the Global Fund, which have worked with governments for 20 years to help people in countries Provide low-income vaccines, tests, and infectious disease treatments. "Fortunately, the world has experience providing life-saving aids to people," said Melinda Gates.
"The next phase in the fight against this pandemic will be far more expensive than developing safe and effective vaccines. Our donation today is only a fraction of what is needed. We are focusing on the areas where philanthropic organizations do their biggest Add value, "said Mark Suzman, CEO of the Gates Foundation. All institutions that can help must now be generous. Multilateral organizations, national governments, corporations and philanthropists - we all need to invest to make sure the tests, drugs and vaccines reach as many people as possible. "
Total amount of obligations in the context of the corona crisis
With today's announcement, the total amount donated by the foundation in response to the global corona crisis increases to $ 1.75 billion. This total comes from three sources: reallocated funding in excess of the Foundation's planned annual program budget, risk funding from the Foundation's Strategic Investment Fund, and some funding comes from foundation programs where recipients have identified urgent needs or unique expertise in place to mitigate the effects of the pandemic.
Overall, the foundation provides the following funds:
Reallocated funds.The total funding commitment is more than $ 680 million in new funds approved in response to the growing public health emergency that are higher than planned donations for 2020. Examples are:
- The ones announced today $ 250 million, to the Continue to develop new COVID-19 vaccines, tests and drugs and to ensure fair, timely and scaled provision of these products
- $ 50.2 million to Slowing down the contagion by supporting global efforts to develop and administer tests, tracing and other urgent public health actions.
- $ 47.5 million to strengthen country-specific and regional measures in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia as well as to support the partners in preparing the health systems for increasing case numbers.
- $ 311.7 million to finance the development, production and procurement of new Diagnostics, Treatments and Vaccines for COVID-19, including:
- $ 156 million for the COVID-19 Vaccine Advance Market
Commitment (COVAX AMC) from Gavi to ensure that
COVID-19 vaccines in low and medium countries
Income is accessible and affordable for them as soon as they are
come out $ 20 million for further funding
Vaccine Candidates by the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness
Innovations (CEPI) $ 50 million to evaluate whether
existing drugs for use during the pandemic
Could be repurposed, and new therapies for countries with
low and middle income develop
- $ 24.9 million to generally alleviate the effects of the pandemic, such as B. Measures for economic recovery, education, poverty and gender equality, including:
- $ 5 million to support social institutions in the
Greater Seattle area of $ 15 million for providing the
Infrastructure for COVID-19 diagnostic tests for up to 10 historical
black colleges and universities
- Risk finance. The foundation has up to $ 750 million in the form of volume guarantees, forgivable loans, and other high-risk funding from their Strategic Investment Fund to facilitate the rapid procurement of vital medical supplies and help companies finance the production of COVID-19 products for countries
support those with low and middle incomes, including:
- Up to $ 300 million in the form of forgivable loans in support of the manufacture of up to 200 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines for low and middle income countries
- Up to $ 200 million in the form of guarantees to support the manufacture of monoclonal antibody based treatments for low and middle income countries
- Guarantees of up to $ 250 millionto make affordable diagnostics available in low- and middle-income countries.
The Strategic Investment Fund uses financial instruments other than grants to stimulate private sector innovation and address market challenges in scaling new health innovations in low and middle income countries. All financial income generated by the Strategic Investment Fund is reinvested in philanthropic programs of the Gates Foundation.
Diverted Funds. Given the threat COVID-19 poses to global health and development, several Foundation fellows were in a unique position to leverage their existing work and expertise in responding to COVID-19. The foundation headed more than $ 315 million from programs to support direct COVID-19 work while continuing to support existing priorities. While this is a significant amount, it is only a fraction of the roughly $ 5 billion that the foundation spends annually on its programs. Some examples are:
- The team that drives innovation to scale financed a project for the introduction of the LumiraDx COVID-19Diagnostic platform and the associated rapid antigen tests in Africa, together with other donors.
- Several teams provided the existing partners with additional funds for research and development for new COVID-19 diagnostics, therapeutics and vaccines to support.
- The team that supports global health product delivery assisted several existing grant recipients in sourcing and coordinating markets for personal protective equipment, respiratory care and other COVID-19 health items.
- We supported in the procurement of about 1 million treatment units with dexamethasone for use in Africa.
- The family planning team used existing surveys to determine the People's needs and behaviors during the corona crisis to understand. The pollsters asked women and young people about their contraceptive needs and also asked about COVID-19 in order to be able to take more targeted measures.
- The K-12 and Higher Education Team provided funds to support the Emergency aid in schools ready. These funds helped schools adapt to the closings and provided support to families of low-income students who may have lost their housing, groceries or wages.
About the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Guided by the belief that all life is of equal value, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is committed to ensuring that all people can lead healthy, productive lives. In developing countries, the foundation focuses on improving people's health and giving them a chance to free themselves from hunger and extreme poverty. In the United States, she is fighting to ensure that all people - especially those with the least resources - have access to opportunities to be successful in school and in life. Headquartered in Seattle, Washington, the foundation is headed by CEO Mark Suzman, led by Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett.
Inquiries & contact:
- What is your favorite accessory under 10 years of age
- How would you define Costa Rican music
- Can an experienced software developer perform PMP
- How do I read the newspaper effectively
- What can I do with 5000 rupees
- Gear oil is the same as gear oil
- What Are Some Good Cuban Movies
- The path to enlightenment causes depression
- What are some eco-friendly gift ideas
- Is the Pilot V7 pen waterproof
- Why is mica used in commutators
- What's the best weekend ever
- Who would win karambit or katana?
- What is the name of bad philosophy
- How kids skip school these days
- Iron deficiency is linked to depression
- What if the earth touched the moon?
- Which is greater than 6 or 678
- How is ooty for vacation
- Which place in Trichy do you like
- What is historical fantasy
- Where can you find a developer
- What are the pitfalls of Indian democracy
- What causes an oily face
- Depression can really be diagnosed
- What can cause black spots in mucus
- What are good active learning tutorials
- Could depression and eyes be permanently cured
- What are mini blinds made of
- A person may be allergic to smells
- Does eye comfort software really work
- Which district is unique in Maharashtra
- How often are history books updated