What is the poorest city in Ohio
Infographic: German cities in the USA
What you know, you like to keep. At least that is what many German emigrants would have thought when they founded settlements in the USA in the past centuries. Because Detmold, Fulda or Paderborn are not only found in Germany, but also in the USA.
Graphic: German city names in the USA
If you are looking for the namesake of your hometown in the USA, write ", USA" after the place name in the search field (example: Flensburg, USA).
After the First and Second World Wars, the spellings of many German city names were Anglicized. There are 21 Frankforts in the United States - but they do not appear on our map. Only exact matches of the official place names are shown.
Until the 20th century, Germans formed the largest group of immigrants to the United States. Today, most of the American population has German ancestors. The US census from 2000 shows: More than 49.2 million of the 282 million Americans at the turn of the millennium (today there are around 323 million) stated that they were of German descent. Recent surveys, such as the 2015 American Community Survey, come to a similar conclusion.
Graphic: Proportion of the population of German origin per federal state
The first German settlement in the USA was founded in 1683 by 13 families from the Krefeld area, the so-called "Original 13". Her name: Germantown. Today the once independent community is a borough of Philadelphia. The majority of the population are now Afro-Americans.
Inspired by a popular travel report by Gottfried Duden, among other things, many Germans settled in the Midwest. Even today, the number of people of German origin in the states of Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North and South Dakota and Wisconsin is the highest percentage.
There is another specialty in Pennsylvania, where almost a quarter of the population has German roots. Because the so-called Pennsylvania German has been preserved there to this day, even with its own newspaper.
- How do potatoes prepare for fries
- Tapirs are related to horses and rhinos
- What are the amplifiers at Woodstock
- How did Harry Potter defeat the basilisk
- What is the name of a baby emu
- Is Parkinson's hereditary
- What is a real estate ISA
- Is there any scientific evidence for Hinduism
- What is Bootstrap Technology
- What are the best price action trading rate
- How can I loosen up
- Is it difficult to work from home
- Why do petty criminals even try it
- Why should I never visit Serbia
- What is the laptop recommended for NITJ
- How do porn stars live in society
- How do I study chemistry for BITSAT
- Where was the largest gold nugget found
- How easy is it to learn Kathak
- When was the constitution written?
- Did George Washington support black slavery
- Should I play the trumpet or the horn?
- How talented is Real Madrid's Takefusa Kubo
- What makes people so easily misunderstood
- What are unreal numbers
- What are renewable and non-renewable sources
- What does genetic engineering mean in food
- What is financial control within a bank
- Is it immoral to be a satanist?
- Do you think i'm ugly
- Always good in openness in behavior
- Putin creates a fascist state
- How can you rob a pawn shop