What is a discontinuous spectrum
The contents of this page may be technically out of date, but remain online for archive reasons. Current information and the opportunity to ask questions can be found at www.frag-den-neudeck.de
Home Ask the Neudeck Imprint TrackingData protection
Continuous and discontinuous spectra and the color rendering index
Most light sources, including the sun, are thermal radiators, which means that the light is generated via the detour of heat. Color temperature and brightness are directly related to the operating temperature. They emit a continuous color spectrum that only changes its red-blue weighting at different color temperatures. Depending on the temperature, the proportion of green light is between 30 and 34%.
Discharge lamps generate their light according to the principle of gas discharge: the electrons of a gas mixture are excited to glow with the help of electrical current. Depending on the composition of the gas, the lamps emit light of different spectral compositions. It is therefore possible that a lamp emits white light to the eye, but important areas are missing in the color spectrum or are represented over-dimensionally. One then speaks of a discontinuous spectrum. Uncorrected recordings under such lighting conditions often show a color cast that is difficult to predict.
Manufacturers of discharge lamps indicate a measure of color rendering quality in their data sheets: the color rendering index. A value of 100 corresponds to an absolutely neutral color rendering that can only be achieved by the continuous spectra of the temperature radiators. High-quality discharge lamps for photographic purposes achieve values between 90 and 96, depending on their age.Standard fluorescent lamps, such as those used for factory hall lighting, often only achieve a color rendering index of 60. The yellow sodium vapor light that we illuminate is much lower Buildings or street lighting.
© Stefan Neudeck
www.filmtechnik-online.de December 24, 2001
- Which comes first fluently or grammar
- What is the use of plants
- How much schooling does a beautician need
- Can a driver make two stops
- Are theories invented or discovered
- What are the symptoms of atopic eczema
- What does mussels eat
- How is chlorpromazine used in horses
- What is the mission statement of Fox News
- There were airports during the War of Independence
- If 3x 24 what is x
- Show Australia that gun control works
- Is mayonnaise healthy for the body
- Is it true that reincarnation is possible?
- Is CGPA important in B Tech
- How strong is the R3600 series graphics card
- Can someone get into a coma through stress?
- What makes a name feminine or masculine
- Liquid nitrogen tanks can be dangerous
- How do I lose on Adderall
- What is the food for your mind today
- Who won the presidential election of 1860
- What do dielectrics do
- Which past perfect sentence is correct
- Did the Chinese invent the chariot on their own?
- Why is Seventeen not as popular as BTS
- Can hypnosis cure someone of chronic stress?
- Is Tim Cook gay
- Why is JIT code compiled across platforms
- How does sand extraction affect biodiversity?
- Technically speaking, APIs are just web scrapers
- How many services are provided by WordPress
- Does Hinduism have any ethical content?
- Train special forces civilians