How long do heart valves last
Heart valve: how long do implants last?
Artificial heart valves have been gently inserted using catheters since 2009: With the TAVI procedure, the replacement for a defective aortic valve is guided through a small incision in the groin to the heart - without opening the chest and without using a heart-lung machine.
Nobody can say exactly how long the artificial heart valves will last. The safety has been tested and has been certified with the CE mark. But there are major differences between the approval of medical devices such as heart valves and that of drugs.
Artificial heart valve: costs and risks
The TAVI procedure is well suited for elderly or very sick people because the operation is gentler. For younger sufferers, on the other hand, the longest possible shelf life of the implant is important.
The TAVI procedure is already carried out more frequently than the operation, which has been tried and tested for four decades, although officially only high-risk patients are treated with TAVIs and the procedure is very expensive:
- The use of a TAVI implant costs around 32,000 euros, of which the manufacturers collect 8,000 to 12,000 euros.
- The use of a conventional heart valve prosthesis costs around 19,000 euros, the implant only a few hundred euros.
Long-term studies should provide clarity
In the Dedicate study, scientists are investigating how long different heart valve prostheses last. It was determined by lot whether the study participants would be treated with a conventional operation or with the TAVI procedure. The researchers are investigating how long the study participants live with their artificial heart valve. Ten to twenty years from now will show whether TAVI implants or conventional heart valve prostheses will last longer.
This topic in the program:
Visit | 11/27/2018 | 8:15 pm
- What is article rotating
- What makes a computer program efficient
- Where can I buy Buerger tokens
- Which are some long-lasting phones
- What causes pinworms in infants
- What is Leydig Cell Hyperplasia
- How cryptography is used in blockchain
- Was the Indus Valley civilization matriarchal
- Under what conditions would you kill someone
- English-speaking Creoles are Germanic
- What are some strong ropes
- How are Rama and Krishna one
- How much did Bill Gates inherit
- How do bases react with water
- What is the chaos of consciousness
- Work from home jobs are entrepreneurship
- When were Jews first persecuted?
- What is an airplane course
- Coprophilia is a mental illness
- Which insurance companies will backdate the insurance?
- Who won the first Champions Cup?
- What's the best car under 150K
- What are user experience metrics
- Are raw bones good for dogs to chew?