What is the Rosenmund Reduction Reaction
The Rosenmund reduction is a chemical reaction.
In the Rosenmund reduction, aldehydes are produced by reducing carboxylic acid chlorides with hydrogen. Palladium on barium sulfate is used as a carrier. Since a reduction to alcohol can occur with untreated palladium, the activity of the catalyst is reduced by poisoning (e.g. with quinoline / sulfur). The hydrogen chloride formed in the course of the reaction is either driven out of the reaction mixture by the stream of hydrogen or can be bound by adding suitable bases (e.g. amines). Furthermore, the reaction must be carried out with the exclusion of water, since otherwise the acid chloride is hydrolyzed to the corresponding carboxylic acid. Acid chlorides react with carboxylic acids to form carboxylic acid anhydrides. Further by-products are the esters formed from the alcohols and the carboxylic acid chloride.
The reaction is named after its discoverer, Karl Wilhelm Rosenmund.
- Rosenmund, K. W. Reports of the German Chemical Society1918, 51, 585 
- Saytzeff, Michael; Journal for Practical Chemistry1873, 6(1) , 128-135. 
- Laue, T .; Plagens, A .: "Name and Keyword Reactions in Organic Chemistry". 3. Edition. Stuttgart: Teubner Study Books Chemistry (1998).
Category: Name Reaction
- Which beaches in New Jersey are free
- Why did you block me on Facebook
- What is the appeal of conspiracy theories
- How do you measure an eyebrow piercing
- Why do pastries cause heartburn
- Why is Dearborn not annexing East Dearborn
- People fail at ISB
- Should I buy Alibaba BABA shares?
- Why does water damage cell phones
- People think in one language
- How did Twitter start 1
- What are the cons of Realme 3
- What do tasers do
- Why should you read Rene Guenon
- What is dbinom in R.
- Likes Trump Alex Jones and InfoWars
- Trump grows the American economy
- When was the super string theory introduced?
- What are the uses of analog computers
- What is John Anderson's most successful song
- When should Queen Elizabeth retire?
- What is a cyclone storm
- Animals should have rights
- How does a microgrid work
- What is hardcore music
- Could a lynx be domesticated?
- Police clubs have been replaced by tasers
- How is ACMS different from AFMC
- What is the least believable dystopian novel
- How do I make local friends
- Will dropshipping outlive for a long time
- How foggy foggy is Seattle
- How can airports be improved?
- What are the options after IBPS