What does continuous rain do
Bees in the rain
How does prolonged rainfall affect bees?
Have you always wondered what effects prolonged rainfall has on bees? Where are all the insects all of a sudden when it rains? Can raindrops even kill the little hymenoptera? NABU provides answers.
Honey bees don't like rain - Photo: Wolfgang Ewert
Raindrops are comparatively huge for insects and can even become deadly projectiles - especially for flying insects such as flies, butterflies or bees. In addition, the flying insects can hardly get up into the air if they are soaked with water and therefore have to carry more weight.
That's why bees don't like rain. When it rains, but also in cool temperatures, the hymenoptera stay in their beehive, warm and feed the larvae and live on their reserves of pollen and nectar. If the rain takes a break, some workers fly out to fetch drinking water.
If a bee is surprised by the rain, it quickly hides under leaves, in flowers, on trees or under house roofs. There she holds out until the rain shower has passed.
Long periods of rainy weather can even be life-threatening for bees and their colonies. With continuous rain for days, bees can hardly collect pollen and nectar. As a result, many bees starve to death and the bee colony is severely weakened. In addition, cool, damp weather makes the bees sluggish and more susceptible to disease.
Test wild bee knowledge
Wild bee quiz
How many wild bee species are there in Germany? Does a wild bee hotel help all wild bees? Test your knowledge in the wild bee quiz.more
I want for conservation
- Could Severus Snape have developed an obscurial
- What was the first MLM company
- Do you think Dan Bilzerian is happy?
- What is your favorite dear song
- What financial knowledge should I know
- What is overrated these days
- What is the past tense of screaming
- History class is difficult
- Is pizza fat
- Which insurance companies will backdate the insurance?
- Which liquid solidifies when heated?
- Is MyEtherWallet safe
- What are blessings
- What happened after Bruce Lee died
- How do players deal with rejection
- Which type of titanium is the strongest overall
- Is fruit a food
- How effective are SEO tools and services
- What is the technical example of polymorphism
- How do you deal with your sagittarian brain
- Can I start studying nursing at 47?
- What was the first MP3 you downloaded
- Why are Hindu gods not sexless
- How can I be persistent in everything
- Which has more jobs Tableau or QlikView
- Should Pakistan break off diplomatic relations with Portugal
- Smoking weed kills my attention span
- Which are the CDNs with Indian presence
- Can I replace a garbage disposal myself
- Why are things going viral
- How can I break someone's thigh muscles
- How do I use makeup brushes
- How can I overcome this situation
- Does Mitchell Santner not play this IPL