What are clathrate compounds
Long before the first real noble gas compounds could be represented for the first time, the clathrates or cage compounds or ice hydrates were considered the only 'compounds' of the noble gases. However, these are so-called inclusion compounds, in which the elementary noble gases are enclosed in the cages of water molecules. That of the clathrates of type I is 8 X * 46 H2O (X = noble gas or halogen). These compounds can be created simply by freezing out water in the presence of noble gases or halogens (e.g. elemental chlorine). The noble gas hydrates consist of an H like normal ice2O framework in which every O atom is tetrahedrally coordinated. In contrast to simple ice, when the noble gases are present, which act as templates, structures with large cavities are formed. In the Clathrat-I it concerns
- Two pentagonal dodecahedra (), which consist of 12 pentagons and 20 corners (Platonic solid). These pentagon dodecahedra form the smaller gaps with a diameter of approx. 520 pm.
- Six so-called fourteen faces (), which have 2 hexagons and 12 pentagons as boundary surfaces and a total of 24 corners. These polyhedra represent the large gaps, their diameter is 590 pm.
|Fig. 3.2.1. Structures of the clathrate hydrates|
According to the template effect of the guests, the occupation of these cavities depends on the enclosed compounds:
- If X are simple noble gases, then all eight gaps are filled so that the general formula (6 + 2) X * 46 H2O results.
- If, on the other hand, X is a large molecule, then only the 14 faces are occupied and the formula 6 CHCl results3 * 46 H.2O.
The structural chemistry of the clathrasils is described in detail in Chap. 8.7 of the lecture silicate chemistry. There are also intermetallic phases with the Tetrel elements and alkali metals in the gaps, which have the same structure, see e.g. Chap. 6.2. of the intermetallic phases.
- Reservation schemes need to be changed
- How do I solve Euler's theorem
- What causes stuffy noses and stuffy ears
- What exactly are ketone bodies
- What is subtle energy
- Brezhnev was a hardliner
- What is the basic formatting for a novel
- Can you really learn Photoshop with YouTube
- Why does Monaco not have a capital
- What is temporary dizziness
- Is CrossFit efficient
- Is JAMA Oncology a good journal
- Can I become a professional furry hunter
- Do you have book recommendations
- What's your favorite moment in Quora
- What is soil water uptake
- What interferes with magnetic fields
- Are Americans good at vocabulary
- Is the Wizengamot chosen?
- Can we use Pinterest in India
- What is considered symptomatic scoliosis
- How do cyanide pills work
- Beto ORourke has a criminal record
- What is the shortest Shakespeare sonnet